Jun 17, 2016
Dr Brandt discusses the vasectomy. there are 10 things a man should know prior to having the procedure.
1. A vasectomy is intended to be permanent.
2. A vasectomy is not immediately effective.
3. A man must continue other forms of contraception until he proves his semen is sperm-free with a semen sample.
4. Even if a man shows no sperm in the semen a pregnancy can still occur--this is very rare.
5. A vasectomy will need to be redone about 1% of the time.
6. A vasectomy requires a 1-2 week recovery.
7. A vasectomy can be reversed but it is not always successful.
8. Complications are uncommon but can occur.
9. Chronic pain in the testicle can develop after vasectomy 1% of the time.
10. Alternatives to vasectomy exist and should be discussed with your physician.